Intelligence

What is intelligence? What makes someone intelligent? Are you intelligent? Can someone become intelligent when they weren't before? These are questions I have asked myself over and over. I think I finally have the answers.

What is intelligence? This question is as simple as looking at a dictionary. According to the dictionary intelligence is "the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills." Most people tend to think someone that knows a lot of facts is intelligent. According to the definition however, they are wrong because that is knowledge not intelligence. Memorization does not make someone intelligent because there is another component to it. The ability to apply the knowledge you have. This is the ability to string facts together, apply these strings of facts in such a way to accomplish something, or to figure something out. This boils down to the use of logic. Adding logic to knowledge is the basis of intelligence. 

What makes someone intelligent? A logical person is an intelligent person. It's really that simple. When you get to know someone you can easily tell if they use logic or not. A logical person will be able to understand complicated concepts relatively easily. This is not the case for an illogical person. An illogical person will struggle with with seemingly simple concepts. 

Are you intelligent? This one has haunted me most of my life. I am always looking at my decisions, actions, and understanding of everything I think and know to verify I am using logic in every part of my life. It's my goal to become as intelligent as possible. Therefore, I am always learning new things, acquiring knowledge, and trying to apply logic to this knowledge for a greater understanding. It's my understanding this is what has made me intelligent. However, I do have to realize I may not be intelligent at all. I may be so unintelligent I am unable to comprehend what real intelligence is. Hence my constant struggle. 

Can someone become intelligent when they weren't before? I think this is a yes. Even people that have no understanding of logic can learn logic. Although, I have no understanding how to teach someone to become logical. Many times it seems like something you are born with or without. However, it's my understanding when illogical people are exposed to logical people they will eventually become more logical themselves. It kind of wares off on people. At least that is what I have seen. However, there are people that will simply resist logic every chance they get. 

This is why more and more people are becoming non religious. People are being exposed to logical arguments and stands against the illogical and irrational concepts they hold. Many people fight logic with more illogic. However, it seems that even the most illogical person will eventually see logic for what it is eventually with enough exposure. Therefore, go out there and spread logic as far and wide as you possibly can. Maybe, we can make the world more intelligent. I, for one, think a more intelligent world you be a better world. Then again, what do I know. I'm just a small town guy named Rug living basically in the middle of no where, but that is what I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender and Restrooms

Odd Things About The Bible

Atheism - The good, the bad, and the ugly.