My Linux Choice

I started learning Linux over 10 years ago. When I first started I was working with Fedora. I loved Fedora, except when I did updates and everything broke. Still, I learned a ton and genuinely enjoyed my experiences with it. Then I got new hardware. I went to load Fedora on it, and it blew chunks. Complete kernel panic during the install. Fedora seemed to be disgusted by my new hardware. I had cheated on Fedora off and on during this love affair. I would boot a virtual machine loaded with Ubuntu, lift up the skirt, and try to wrap my head around the differences. When my new hardware would not work with Fedora I figured I would try Ubuntu. Still, kernel panic during install. I was starting to think maybe Linux in general had an issue with what I had to offer.

Looking around on the net I found Mint. This distribution of Linux was beautiful. Not only was it extremely happy to accept my new hardware, when it first booted I found one of the most beautiful desktops I had seen. Eventually I started to poke around under its skirt. What I saw an atrocious set of things I would need to overcome if I really wanted to have this system. However, the beauty of it had impressed me. That is why I stuck with it for a few years. 

Finally, I realized I wanted something as beautiful on the inside as it was on the outside. I wanted something that worked, was stable, and beautiful. Liked the hardware I had to offer, and wasn't afraid to tell me when I messed up. That is when I found Arch. This was a system that I could tell from the beginning was going to be amazing. Just to get Arch to install I learned more about Linux than I had in the past 10 years. Arch did not hesitate to complain when I did something wrong. Never let me get away with faking I knew what I was doing. Never once did it panic when I failed to comment in a config file. Arch seemed perfect.

That is when I looked at the window dressing. I loved it. It was simple, plain, and quicker than any I had ever seen. Just what I was looking for. I have now put Arch on most of my systems. Not once have I regretted this decision. Though, only time will tell if I have made the right choice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender and Restrooms

Odd Things About The Bible

Atheism - The good, the bad, and the ugly.