Words Matter

There has been a lot of talk lately in the news and podcast I listen to on the topic of politically correct speech. That got me to thinking. When you look closely to many disagreements and arguments language skills and the uses of words tends to be the main part of the disagreement. I realize this isn't always the case, but many times it is. I find myself many times looking at the terms used and trying to figure out how does it relate to the topic at hand.

I would like to talk a look at a term that is tossed around in the media rather often. Islamophobia or calling someone islamophobic. When you break this word down it becomes rather simple to figure out the real meaning of this term. Islam is of course a religion. Phobia is an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something. Therefore, to call someone an islamophobic or saying they have islamophobia is saying they are an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to Islam. While this may be the case for many people, when I hear the term used to attack people that are making criticisms of Islam. Most of the time seem perfectly valid to me. Since this does tend to be the case I am curious if that means the people making this proclamation may have a phobia about criticising Islam. Maybe, maybe not. I really don't know. However, it is interesting to think about.

When someone is being called islamophobic the next term to be tossed out is racist. Looking this term in the dictionary give two meanings. As a noun the meaning is "a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another." However, as an adjective it means "having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another." Which makes perfect sense for the adjective to be a way of describing someone that holds the views of the noun. However, even if someone is being islamophobic does not mean racist. Islam is not a race. It is a religion. Therefore, islamophobia is not racism. It's really that simple.

Racism is another one that gets confused all the time. You probably know someone that says they are not racist but will not date anyone that is not their race, or will only date people from a particular race. When I hear a statement like that I go nuts. Given the definition of racism, that is exactly what they are are. It is also discriminatory. Go back and read my post on discrimination to see my views.

Politically correct in the simplest definition is the synonyms "unoffensive, nondiscriminatory, unbiased, neutral, appropriate, nonpartisan" Based of this definition I say screw most of it. I agree with being nondiscriminatory. That is the only one I agree with. If you spend your time trying to be nonoffensive, unbiased, neutral, appropriate, and nonpartisan then you can never really say anything. Everything I say, think, do, and write is bound to offend some people. Anyone that does not agree with me is probably going to be offended. There are a few times when someone should be unbiased. These times come often for some people and rarely for others. Most of these times would be for work. Such as a teacher, a judge, a moderator, or when you are on jury duty. Other than that, who cares? Be as biased as you like. However, when someone comes to you with reasonable arguments with valid evidence to backup their claims you have to be ready to change your mind. There is a difference between being biased and irrational.

Another term that gets tossed around is stupid. Most of the time I hear someone being called stupid they mean something completely different. Most of the time someone is getting called stupid because they don't know something. According to the dictionary stupid means "lacking intelligence or common sense."  So that would mean they aren't really being stupid, but ignorant works rather well. Ignorant is "lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated." Therefore, next time you are about to call someone stupid, think for a moment of the definition. Do you really mean to call them ignorant? I bet you find most of the time you do. I'm guilty of this one myself. A lot. I will tell you from experience apologizing to someone  for calling them stupid doesn't go over too well. Especially when you tell them I meant to call you ignorant. Apparently, people don't like to be called ignorant any better than being called stupid. Who knew?

When it comes to the words we use and how we use them, I think it makes a big difference. We can tear people down, build them up, relay information, and even express our opinions. Making sure we mean what we say, and say what we mean gets confusion out of the way so we can get our opinions and information across. Words may not be able to break your bones, they can still hurt. Sure, I'm just a guy named rug, but that is what I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender and Restrooms

Odd Things About The Bible

Atheism - The good, the bad, and the ugly.